including eating disorders in conversations about mental health
On June 2, 2023, members of the OMM Team attended the first-ever World Eating Disorder Action Day (WEDAD) at the United Nations. The luncheon and briefing were hosted by the National Alliance for Eating Disorders and the Mental Health Coalition.
Lauren Anderson, OMM Founder and Executive Director, and Laura Beth Levitt, OMM Program Director, attended the event. The afternoon focused on intentionally including eating disorders in mental health discourse, the effects of social media on mental health, and barriers to accessing care. In attendance were a variety of panel speakers, celebrities, and organizations including:
- Black Girl Smiles — providing culturally-affirming mental health care and resources for Black women and girls.
- On Our Sleeves — ensuring that mental health conversations are a main part of every child’s upbringing.
The Mental Health Coalition is a collective of mental health organizations, brands, and individual advocates working to end the stigma around mental health care and conversations. OMM became an official member of the Mental Health Coalition this past March alongside Black Girls Smile.
September is suicide prevention month and providing mental health support for those that live with eating disorders is a part of the work to save lives. OMM is committed to making sure that the effects of eating disorders are discussed in mental health advocacy. Read more about ways to get involved and available resources below:
For anyone: Explore resources from the National Alliance for Eating Disorders:
- Toll-free helpline 866-662-1235 (Monday–Friday, 9 a.m.–7 p.m. EST): speak with licensed therapists who specialize in eating disorders.
- Treatment database
- Support groups
For teens & families:
- FEAST (Families Empowered And Supporting Treatment for Eating Disorders) — international non-profit of and for parents and caregivers of loved ones affected by eating disorders.
- The Healthy Teen Project — offers a holistic approach to care for teens and families affected by eating disorders.
- Nemours Teen Health — a brief article explaining eating disorders and how they affect teen health and emotions.
For clubs: Explore the list of activities and campaigns on the OMM club portal that focus on and uplift discussions around body image, self-love and acceptance!
- In high school club portal: “learning about body image & eating disorders”
- School-wide campaigns from the OMM middle school handbook: body acceptance shirt party; self affirmation selfie station
- OMM knowledge hub: infographics on body image & diet culture
The OMM Team thanks the National Alliance for Eating Disorders and the Mental Health Coalition for extending the invitation and hosting this historic day!