- To understand the different types of eating disorders and body image challenges that people deal with
- To build empathy and understand for peers who may have an eating disorder or body image challenges
Divide students into groups, and assign each group a common disorder: anorexia, bulimia, binge eating, avoidant/restrictive food intake disorder (ARFID), or body dysmorphic disorder (BDD). Have students research their assigned disorder and note the characteristics of it on an index card or piece of paper. Then, each group will share out to the bigger group. After students have shared, project the statistics infographic.
- How can eating disorders affect people’s social lives? How can they affect their academic performance?
- What role can social media play in eating disorders?
- How do people develop eating disorders?
- How can you be supportive of peers who may have an eating disorder? (see handout in other tips/resources).