- To understand the importance of a healthy diet and exercise routine on their overall mood and mental wellness
- To be able to identify healthy brain foods and how to use them
Have one person read the following passages aloud:
“Eating healthy is just as important to mental health as it is to physical health. Research linking diet and mental health shows that food—along with other factors— plays an important contributing role in the development, management and prevention of specific mental health problems such as depression, schizophrenia, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and Alzheimer’s disease.”
“A healthy diet is a protective factor and an unhealthy diet is a risk factor for depression and anxiety.”
Improving your diet can help give you positive feelings, clearer thinking, more energy, and calmer mood. To learn more about how to manage your mood with food, watch the following video:
How to manage your mood with food | 8 Tips (3min 47sec)
As a group, discuss the following:
- Do you believe the claims about diet impacting your mood?
- Why or why not?
- Do you think you currently are eating a healthy diet?
Do you notice food having an impact on your mood?
- What happens to your mood when you do not eat or are hungry?