- To learn and practice various breathing techniques
- To reconnect with the environment and be “present” in the moment as a way to manage stress
Room setup prior to the meeting: Create 5 stations throughout the room to practice different breathing exercises. Download the Breathe2Relax application on a phone or iPad prior to the club meeting or show the YouTube clip. Prepare the following 5 stations prior to the club meeting starting.
Explain to the club that the next activity will involve rotating through five stations that encourage us to breathe in different ways.
Divide the club into 5 groups
- Station 1: Bubble Blowing
- Station 2: Ping Pong Ball Race with Straws – using painter’s tape, outline the tracks the ping-pong balls will race along. Each participant will use the paper towel tube to blow their ping pong ball to the finish line.
- Station 3: Breathe2Relax application
- Station 4: Floating Ball – blank computer paper, tape, bendy straws (1 per club member), ping pong balls (1 per club member at the station)
- Station 5: Feather Breathing
- Option A: Holding a feather in your hand blow up one side and down the other, as you inhale and exhale
- Option B: Choose a feather and try to keep it off the ground for as long as possible by breathing “life” into it.
Allow 3-5 minutes at each station. Once everyone has rotated through all stations, bring the club back together to discuss the following discussion questions.
- What was your favorite station?
- Were you more aware of your breath in these activities?
- Why do you think it is important to focus on our breath in certain situations? How do you think trauma and breathing connect?