- Students will learn the importance of failure and what can be learned
- Students will identify ways to “bounce back” or overcome challenges
- Students will learn to recognize perspective in social media and how perspective is used to portray a specific message
create your own license plate 5 min
- Give students a blank piece of paper and have them create their own license plate using a positive word that they feel describes them best. Encourage students to use colors, abbreviations, and be creative!
Article–Failures 10-15 min
- Hand out a copy of the Why it feels so good to read about this Princeton professor’s failures article to each person.
- Read the article individually, and then discuss as a group using the following processing questions:
- Is failure or failing a good thing?
- What can we learn from failure?
- Do you think it is important that this professor shared his failures? What value, if any, did it add?
- Think about successful people you know or see in the media. Do you think any of them failed first?
After discussing failure and its role in one professor’s life, consider your own life. Project the Growth Mindset Questions powerpoint. Answer the following Growth Mindset Questions on a blank sheet of paper:
Growth Mindset Questions
- What happened today that made you keep going?
- What mistake did you make that taught you something?
- What strategy are you going to try now? What will you do to solve this problem?
- What did you try hard at today?
Discuss the following process questions
- In answering the questions, did you uncover any hidden strengths?
- Do you feel more successful or confident in your abilities than you initially thought?
- Can your ability to problem solve and overcome difficult times increase your self-efficacy?
Perspective via Instagram 10 min
- Pull up the following website on the smartboard/screen and scroll through the pictures.
- After looking through the pictures, discuss the following processing questions as a group:
- What do you think of this artist’s depiction of instagram?
- Why do you think it is important for everyone to think outside of the cropped image? How does this relate to thinking about someone’s failures as well as their successes?
- Do you think people can get stuck in the thought that everyone else is living a perfect life that they depict on social media?
- What is one thing you can do to help make sure you stay in a healthy mindset when it comes to social media?
- How do you think perspective plays a part in social media?
- How is perspective used to portray a specific message?